These sessions are considered Application-based as per Pennsylvania Pharmacists Association
Activity Type - A
Target Audience: Pharmacists interested in offering the Diabetes Prevention Program in their pharmacy or other setting.
- Articulate the results of the Diabetes Prevention Program and the importance of the findings as they relate to clinical practice and disease prevention.
- Indicate the scientific rationale for the Group Lifestyle Balance intervention.
- Communicate the rationale, results and implications of translating the DPP lifestyle intervention as the practical implications
- State the two Group Lifestyle Balance goals and why they are important.
- Describe how to teach participants to find and track fat and calories in food.
- Recognize the basics of weight loss management through healthy eating.
- Identify appropriate activity recommendations for patients taking part in the Group Lifestyle Balance.
- Discuss how calorie balance relates to weight loss
- Discuss food and activity cues and ways to change them
- Identify techniques to assist patients with barriers to making healthy lifestyle changes.
- Discuss ways to add interest and variety to the participant's activity plan
- Discuss obstacles and problems that may occur for patients trying to achieve and maintain lifestyle balance.
- Identify four principles for healthy eating out.
- Identify potential problem and helpful social cues for participants in the program
- Discuss strategies for helping participants maintain their new lifestyle habits and stay motivated
- Describe effective group leadership and techniques to facilitate group participation and success.
- Identify strategies for transitioning to the post-core phase of the GLB
- Communicate the 4 ways to add more volume in an effort to reduce calories.
- Describe mindful eating including negative effects, benefits, and techniques.
- Discuss risk factors of heart disease and prevention related to Heart Health.
- Describe the thought process necessary for long term maintenance.
- Identify ways to cope and mange stress associated with making healthychanges.
- Discuss the behavior process necessary for lifestyle weight maintenance.
- Describe benefits, techniques, and safety issues related to resistance training.
- Discuss the importance of the 4 components of an exercise program.
- Identify ways to maintain activity during inclement weather.
- Describe use of DPP-GLB materials
- Identify and discuss the three DPP-GLB DVD implementation delivery modes
- Discuss specific problems and barriers to intervention delivery
- Identify possible techniques for improving success in the local setting.
- List specific goals for utilization of the Group Lifestyle Balance Program in thelocal community.
- Summarize plans for program implementation
Contact information for the PPA:
Pennsylvania Pharmacists Association
508 North Third Street
Harrisburg, PA 17101-1199
717-234-6151 Ext. 2